Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tickles, Stretches and a Shorter Drive

Last November Tom and I just couldn't take the madness of roommates anymore (another story all together...or stories I should say) so we moved everything we owned into an empty loft across the hall. We were very happy with the building itself, location and overall vibe of everything that we just couldn't find anything better except the smaller apartment our neighbor's were vacating. We went through a few months of contractor hell, but all-in-all we were happy as clams to just have a little peace and quiet for once with a little room to stretch out our legs and finally get comfortable.

So, after such a turnaround in my emotions, relationship and overall attitude regarding the change of scenery, I naturally started reflecting a bit regarding Eclipse's digs. We were certainly comfortable enough. We had good friends, more trails than we could ever wish for and a safe environment. The down side? The arena was the turnout paddock, so riding was distracting at times, there were no lights for night riding and it was almost an hour's drive away not counting time spent in traffic, which is a given most days after work hours.

I wanted so badly to visit him after work most nights, but after arriving home at 7pm and facing another hour sitting...I just couldn't do it. My rides home were always the worst. I needed coffee to stay awake through the drive and by the time I got home I was too awake to go to sleep, even if it was past my bed time.

But, really, what is worse than the drive, worse than the hours of sleep lost, worse than any of it; the lack of bond between me and my horse. Why should I want to go out of my way to see him? He's just going to act as if I'm killing him just to pet him a little.

I couldn't do it anymore. He needed to be closer, and it needed to happen soon.

I started my search for a barn. I had a few new requirements:

 - If it's the same distance or farther away, the new barn has to have a covered arena so I can at least drive at night when I get there...because, of course, it will be late.
 - If it's closer, it must have a boarding fee of no more extra than what I would be saving in gas and have a lit or covered arena.
 - No matter what, it MUST have a lit arena so I can come out and ride at night.

These prerequisites are somewhat hard to meet in the NYC area. I say somewhat but I really mean impossibly, unfathomably and disappointingly. I probably called over 50 stables as far away as Blairsville, NJ!!

The stables I called were either horribly over priced, too far away, lacked proper facilities or didn't take certain breeds. The boarding fees ranged between $350-$2400 in a 2 hour radius from my home. The lower the board, the farther away, the closer to home, the higher the rate. I couldn't win. I occassionally found a place close enough with a reasonable enough rate, but once I toured the facilities I immediately threw out the possibilities for very serious reasons. Of course I won't name any one place I'm speaking of, but let's just say there were more than a few very sad stables.

I was starting to give up. I didn't think anything existed along the lines of what I was picturing, and if it did, it was going to cost me much more than I was comfortable with. I work in magazines, and let's face it, I'm not getting paid enough to really support daily living costs here, but less costs for a horse--especially if his rent was more than mine!!

After a month of searching, a friend came across a place I hadn't considered. I arranged a meeting and was pleasantly surprised. It was small but quaint, clean and modest...it had a single lit arena (relatively lit...enough to work out some at night anyway), a beautiful little barn, separate privacy paddocks and trails. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. All of this, a definite upgrade, for only $50 more a month than I was already paying! I decided on the spot this is Eclipse's new home! I was so thrilled to be able to keep him in Long Island. We were only moving about 15 miles closer, but it would definitely make a difference.

I waited a couple of weeks to move him. I needed my trainer's help because he has trailering issues, but after a few hours of work and personalized training, Eclipse loaded (for about the 8th time) and we were off!

It's been a breath of fresh air ever since. We have enough room to do some conditioning and enough socializing to keep my social butterfly happy, trails and new areas to explore. Best of all: I was able to drive out after work tonight and see him. I spent an hour and a half grooming him and playing stretching games.

Already I can see a huge improvement in our relationship. He walked to greet me at the gate, which he never does, and was completely patient and steady on the cross ties with no fuss. He thoroughly enjoyed stretches and massages and I've now discovered some of his favorite spots for scratches and rubs. I have never seen him crinkle his nose or yawn so much before! I could tell he was grateful, because once I finished and gave him a pat on the neck he rubbed his face on my arm. It made me really happy. I think we're making progress...

Good night, Eclipse.

No comments:

Post a Comment