Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Manhattan Saddlery: A Haunt for the City-Dwelling Equine-Inclined

“There is a tack store in the city!” I announced, gasping, to the entire office Friday afternoon.

I received only one whispering response from my coworker in the neighboring cube, “What’s tack?”

Sometimes I lose track of what side of Brooklyn I’m on. Regardless, I got very little work done in the proceeding hours because I couldn’t stop scouring the Manhattan Saddlery online catalogue for the items on my “need NOW” list. Specifically, I was looking for a new helmet to fit my child-sized adult cranium. Very few tack shops or online dealers carry a 6 5/8 GPA or IRH at a reasonable price, so I thought I’d take a look.

Tom and I work a few avenues over from one-another, so when he got out of work I roped him into the fun. We walked down a quiet stretch of 24th street to find this most elaborate tack store nestled in between a parking lot and another nondescript shop of some sort. Upon opening the door I felt I had been transported into an equine Narnia through a wardrobe. I felt like I was 13 years old again. Everything was beautiful, everything was clean and new with that wonderful new leather smell. Of course everything was inflated to reflect Manhattan prices, but I still felt I had arrived in heaven. A tack store! In the city!

I only had a little while to look around before the shop closed and the store attendants were readying the displays for final lock-up. I quickly tried on some helmets and found the correct size for the GPA and IRH models I was looking for but didn’t buy. Even their sale prices were too high for me. I came to terms with the fact that this place would be more of a recreational retreat than a practical resource for all my riding needs (unless of course I hit it big in the lottery, then maybe I’ll spend a few thou... Yeah right).

I was told by one of the girls there that the store used to be an old harness maker’s shop. Some of the original interior details are still intact which make this place even more interesting. The floor slightly creaks in certain areas, creating an interesting feeling of an old farm house or Victorian era artisan home. Honestly, it feels a little like American Gothic meets Hogwarts. The wood columns and beams were all dark and strong-looking, with brass and wrought iron accents scattered throughout. I wanted to explore more, but I had to leave as they were closing.

I will go back. It was an interesting little find, and I certainly never expected it to be there. The clientel were what I expected. Their usual patrons are mostly Manhattan residents who keep their horses in Westchester at some of the most famous and posh equine training facilities you can imagine. There was certainly an air of if-it’s-not-the-best-I-don’t-want-it, which has always intimidated me (ok...pissed me off in most cases) but the sales girls seemed down-to-earth enough and were very accommodating and helpful.

I was just happy to find a bit of fresh air I could relate to. Everyone’s got their thing. If you’re a snowboarder, I’m sure you would be just as enthralled with the Burton store downtown. You may not be able to afford the boards, but that doesn’t stop you from ogling the boards and bindings and apparel fit for only the best athletes and fashion trends (or simply, whoever can afford it).

No, this will be a haunt for me when I need a little quiet time to breathe in the smell of new leather and take in the glitter of new bits, irons and buckles.  This may well be my new hidden hideaway when I need a little more horse for my city.

No comments:

Post a Comment